Importing field data from one orbeon form into another

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Importing field data from one orbeon form into another

don_m
My situation is that I am capturing some information from an employee, who sends the results to their supervisor, who must fill out additional fields. The supervisor currently receives a pdf and an xml file.

I would like to upload the xml file generated from the first form to prepopulate the employee portions of the second form, so that the supervisor can complete their own fields and the combined results sent as a single form. Is this possible, and if so, how? I have looked at numerous posts on this board to no avail. Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Importing field data from one orbeon form into another

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Hi Don,

The standard way of handling this within Orbeon Forms is to have just one form, that is used by both the employee and the manager, with each of them having a different "view" on the data. With this:

1. The employee fills out the form, submits it, and the manger gets an email. So far, there are no changes compared to what you were describing, except that you setup the email sent to the manager not to include the XML of the data, but a link back to edit the form.
2. The manager follows the link, and sees the data. Maybe managers don't get to see all the data, maybe some or all the data entered by employees is readonly for managers. You determine all of this based on the role of the user. Managers will typically see some additional fields, which they can fill out, and in turn submit the form.

Maybe you will also find this blog post useful:
https://blog.orbeon.com/2021/01/new-workflow-capabilities-in-orbeon.html

Would this way of operating work for you?

-Alex
--
Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
Follow me on Twitter: @avernet
Reply | Threaded
|

don_m
It might work for us. I am going to try it and will respond with my results. Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Perfect Don, I think this would also be more inline with the way we plan to extent the form-based workflow capabilities of Orbeon Forms. And like you said, just let us know if this is causing you any trouble.

-Alex
--
Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
Follow me on Twitter: @avernet