synchronizing forms

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

synchronizing forms

bk-2
I have a data collection application I need done for competitions (FIRST Robotics), and wanted to see if Orbeon Forms would work in this environment.
For each match, we have 6 students that each need to watch a robot and collect data about its performance during the match.
There will be a server (laptop), and 6 tablets each collecting data.

I need to make sure each tablet is collecting data about a different robot (so two students shouldn't be watching the same robot, otherwise one will be missed).
They will be collecting data throughout the match (which lasts about 3 minutes), but should network connectivity be lost, they need to auto-reconnect and synchronize to the server.
The data should be synchronized to the server continuously (not requiring a final "submit"). 
Most of the data collected will be fields with integers (starting at zero) that they can increment/decrement.  As a field is updated (increment/decrement), the value should be sync'd to the server.
The forms may need images for labels on fields.

I know there's frameworks for things like this like AngularJS, but really need a form builder.  The folks designing/creating the forms are not programmers.  They currently generate paper forms that are input to a spreadsheet after the match which is very slow, inefficient and prone to errors.

Would Orbeon Forms be a fit?  Or do I need a custom solution?

Thank you,

Brian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Orbeon Forms" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: synchronizing forms

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Hi Brian,

I am not sure Orbeon Forms is a perfect match in this case. There is an auto save, for authenticated users, which you might be able to leverage to implement the "continuous saving" you're describing, but it isn't designed for that purpose. Also there is no integer field with an increment/decrement button; those would have to be added. All this isn't impossible, but would require a little of work on your side. Does this help answer your question?

Alex
--
Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
Follow me on Twitter: @avernet
Reply | Threaded
|

Orbeon Forms community mailing list mailing list
Thank you Alex.  Yes, that helps quite a bit.
It looks like this will be more of an Angular 2 project and will have to try to write a template that can be used/modified annually for each competition.

Thanks!

Brian

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 8:04 PM, Alessandro Vernet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I am not sure Orbeon Forms is a perfect match in this case. There is an auto
> save, for authenticated users, which you might be able to leverage to
> implement the "continuous saving" you're describing, but it isn't designed
> for that purpose. Also there is no integer field with an increment/decrement
> button; those would have to be added. All this isn't impossible, but would
> require a little of work on your side. Does this help answer your question?
>
> Alex
>
> -----
> --
> Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
> Follow me on Twitter: @avernet
> --
> View this message in context: http://discuss.orbeon.com/synchronizing-forms-tp4661951p4661952.html
> Sent from the Orbeon Forms community mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Orbeon Forms" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/orbeon/Gc6uj1FTvHI/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
> To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Orbeon Forms" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
You're welcome Brian. I don't take recommending using something other than Orbeon Forms lightly ;), but in this case, what you want to build looks far from a "normal" form, that you might indeed be better of just building this in Angular.

Alex
--
Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
Follow me on Twitter: @avernet