PDF button and PDF template

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PDF button and PDF template

bwallis42
Is it possible to have two PDF buttons on the form view, one that will print using the PDF template that is attached to the form template and another that ignores the attached PDF template and uses the default pdf output.

I see that pdf-view.xpl already has a test for the existence of a pdf template to decide which version of the print-pdf xpl to run

<p:when test="normalize-space(/*/xh:head//xf:instance[@id = 'fr-form-attachments']/*/pdf) != ''">

but I can't see a way to control this via the button.

Also, there doesn't seem to be anyway to customise the process for the pdf button. Is this hardcoded?  I note that the documentation on buttons and processes explicitly excludes clear and pdf from the list of buttons that you can customise the process for (since 4.2 it says). Is there some other way to do this?

thanks
brian...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PDF button and PDF template

Erik Bruchez
Administrator
Brian,

Currently not: the button (and associated process) will always take the template if present.

The default PDF button is hardcoded because when activating the button, the browser must open a new page, and you can't do that without triggering a popup blocker in modern browsers if you need to call the server to run a process. So the button is always associated with a URL and is handled differently from other processes.

This could probably be improved with an option, or a different button (`always-automatic-pdf`), or maybe something smarter than that.

-Erik