classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Feature request - background scrolling

Eusebio
Hi,

I wanted to request a feature which might make things easier when creating forms. I know I would find it very useful if it was feasible to implement.

It would be great to be able to scroll the background of the form while you have the 'control settings' box open.

Currently I am working between two screens (monitors) and on one side I have my PDF and the other I have my form. In Adobe Acrobat DC when I have the field context box open in order to rename the fields, I can scroll the document in the background allowing me to then click another field context and edit more quickly.

In Orbeon, I can't scroll, so I only edit the field names and things for what I can currently see, just so I know I am naming the correct field with the matching correct name. It would be great to be able to scroll the background page so that I can just use the 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons, or even just have the page jump to the object which the 'control settings' is currently focused on.

Thanks,

Eusebio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Feature request - background scrolling

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Hi Eusebio,

In general, we are not big fans of dialogs here at Orbeon, and used one for the Control Settings because it was simple to do. Also, when we started down that road, its content was much simpler. But an optionally opened non-modal "drawer" would provide a better interface.

To make what you're doing a bit easier, we added those Previous/Next buttons. However, right now, if using those buttons you navigate to a control outside of the viewport, the form isn't "scrolled" to show that control. And you can't click on a control to edit its properties while the dialog is open.

We could make the dialog non-modal, and make sure that the currently edited control changes in the dialog if you click on another control "in the background". Is this what you're referring to?

Alex
--
Follow Orbeon on Twitter: @orbeon
Follow me on Twitter: @avernet
Reply | Threaded
|

Eusebio
Yes, if that's easier. Really, just having the viewport snap to the selected control would be enough while using the Next and Previous buttons.

Thanks,

Eusebio
Reply | Threaded
|

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Hi Eusebio,

Got it. Since we won't get a chance to work on this immediately, I've created this RFE, and you'll let me know if I'm missing anything there:

https://github.com/orbeon/orbeon-forms/issues/2990

Alex
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Eusebio
Hi,

Looks like that covers it all.

Thanks

Eusebio
Reply | Threaded
|

Alessandro  Vernet
Administrator
Eusebio, very good then, and thanks for confirming.

Alex
--